Friday, December 30, 2016

30 Day Challenge is up and running!

Habits and new skills typically do not emerge out of nowhere. They are the result of daily practice and/or deliberate attention. A large, daunting task can be tackled simply by making small, daily changes. If we want to create more balance in our lives we must approach it in small, manageable chunks or we will talk ourselves into failing any HUGE task. We also have to be content despite the predictable ups and downs of learning a new skill or establishing a new habit. If you haven't yet watched this video on how to make small change over 30 days...take a bird walk and do so.


I'm not sure how your decision-making process for your 30-day challenge went, but for me it was a cinch. I've recently gotten into making wood signs and humbly admire those unicorn-esque creative types that actually HAND LETTER these wood signs. Me? I cheat and use a Cricut, otherwise known as a cutting machine. It would be a dream of mine to one day hand letter a wood sign. Problem? There is nothing good or right with my personal handwriting. On a good day it is messy and frightfully ill uniform. Well, I did some digging and found out that one's own handwriting and the ability to hand letter are two very distinctly different things. Turns out that my bad handwriting may have nothing to do with my ability to hand letter. Who knew? However, where does one start learning how to hand letter? Do you need special supplies? Maybe someone to guide me would be nice? After a bit of research, I think I have found the best place to start--hands down! A hand lettering blogger and YouTuber by the name of Dawn Nicole Designs already had a 30-day hand lettering challenge which includes a daily video and practice worksheet. Here are all the details on how I am prepped and ready to start my hand lettering 30-day challenge. Hopefully, I haven't left anything out! Please lurk around Dawn Nicole's blog as it is filled with so much information and I'm pretty sure SHE hasn't left anything out.

1. I snagged the Tombow Fudenosuke (try pronouncing that one out aloud--hee hee) brush tip marker. Supposedly it's the holy grail of hand lettering tools.

2. I also ordered the Tombow colored brush set in primary just in case they let me use color in this gig.

3. As for paper, I ordered the Rhodia dot pad because this girl CANNOT write in a straight line to save her life....dots to the rescue...I hope.

4. Each video goes with a practice sheet. Using up all my ink to print the worksheets? Check!

They say I will be FLOORED at how much progress I make in 30 days and at the end I will have learned a new skill. Yay me! (I may be a bit prematurely excited for my potential success)

Follow along with my 30-day challenge on my Instagram! @embellishedangel

No comments:

Post a Comment